On November 11, 2018, we celebrate Veterans Day to honor all those who have served our country. A 2012 Gallup research study found that four out of five 85 to 89-year-olds have served in our American military. This means that 80% of Americans between the ages of 85 and 89 enlisted at some point in their lives. On Veterans Day, the many seniors who fought for our freedoms are acknowledged in a variety of ways. Here are a few things you can do in recognition of the sacrifice they made to protect our country.
- Organize a creative fundraiser, like a car wash, in your local neighborhood. Identify a veterans organization that you can donate the proceeds to.
- Host a letter writing party and write handwritten thank you notes to each veteran that you know to thank them for their service.
- Invite an organization to your local community center to speak about veterans benefits. Or, invite local organizations that advocate for veterans to come and share about volunteer opportunities.
- Call your local senior center to learn about how they will celebrate and offer to volunteer at their event.
- Invite a veteran to speak at your child’s school.
- Hang a flag in your yard.
- Ask a veteran about their experience and listen as they recount their time in the service.
- Host a party to build care packages for troops and partner with a veterans organization to have them shipped overseas.
Whatever you choose to do, we hope that you will join us to celebrate our nation’s heroes and give thanks for their service.