It’s the month of May, which means we’ll soon celebrate Mother’s Day. If your mother is a senior, consider these thoughtful gifts as a way to communicate your love.
- The best gift is your time. If you live nearby, consider scheduling a meal to spend with your mother. If she lives in a senior living community, review their Activity Calendar to see if there’s a special event or brunch planned that you can attend with her. If your mother lives far away, set up a Skype or FaceTime call so that you can see each other face-to-face and make your time together more special than a regular phone call. Ask a family member, friend or caregiver to assist her with technology on the day of your scheduled call so that you can connect easily.
- Flowers are often the primary way we express our love on Mother’s Day. Instead of a bouquet, consider purchasing a potted plant that your mother can enjoy year-round as a reminder of your love for her. You could even purchase a plant that’s the same type and color as the flowers she had on her wedding day. If your mother needs assistance with maintaining her garden, consider hiring a gardener who can pull weeds and mow the lawn as her gift this year.
- Create a lasting memento. Do you have children? If your mother’s grandchildren cannot accompany you on your visit, consider creating a video of them wishing her a happy Mother’s Day. This simple, inexpensive gift could be a welcome reminder of her family’s love for her and something she can re-play whenever she wants to see her family.
- Surprise her with an outing. Gather your family members and plan a fun day out with mom. Keep her interests in mind, and remember that seniors tire easily, so plan according to her energy level and mobility.
- Is your mother suffering from dementia or Alzheimer’s? Often, individuals with memory-related diseases will respond positively to music. Consider putting together a playlist of your mom’s favorite songs to listen to with her while you spend time together on Mother’s Day. Or, you could read an excerpt from her favorite book or look at family photographs together to elicit memories. Remember that routine and flexibility are both critical to your day with mom if she is suffering from dementia or Alzheimer’s. Choose a time in the day when she is typically feeling her best and be prepared to be flexible so that you can respond to her energy level and mood that day.
Regardless of how you choose to spend Mother’s Day with your mom, we hope that you are able to enjoy quality time with her and celebrate this time in her life.
Oakmont is a luxury senior living community in Santa Clarita offering independent and assisted living. Oakmont of Santa Clarita has a comprehensive Activity Calendar that includes holiday celebrations. On Mother’s Day each year, our talented culinary team prepares a delightful meal to honor all of the mothers in our community. We encourage our residents to invite their families so that they can celebrate with us. In addition to our Activity Program, our residents enjoy five-star amenities like a salon & day spa, movie theater, restaurant-style dining, gardens and walking paths, a pet park and more. Oakmont of Santa Clarita also offers Traditions, a Memory Care community dedicated to meeting the specialized needs of seniors with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. To learn more about Oakmont of Santa Clarita, contact us at 661-295-2025 or visit our website www.oakmontofsantaclarita.com.